Let’s face it, who wants to spend money on work clothes? When I entered the professional world 3 years ago, I had to buy a brand new wardrobe. Let’s just say it’s not cheap! Whether you are in college, or ready to re-vamp your closet, I have pieces that can be worn in the office and off the clock. I will showcase items that are worth the extra money and also list some of my favorite places to shop!
Why limit yourself to a pencil skirt? With Spring in full bloom, consider ‘A Line styles’ that allow comfort and versatility. See pictures below for what to pair your skirt with! Besides work, you could wear this to a bridal or baby shower, or a date night with your partner!
- Eyelet Skirt by Target $29
- Pleated Skirt by Charlotte Russe $25
- Midi Skirt by ASOS $54
- Chambray Skirt by the Limited $49 (Sale!)
I am a fan of blouses (3/4 length, short sleeve, or sleeveless). They are great for work, a night out with friends, and can be dressed up or dressed down. Express, the Limited, H&M, and Ann Taylor Loft are my favorite places to shop for these items! Be careful when shopping, some styles can be more on the ‘see-through’ side. You can always layer with a cami if so!
- Portofino 3/4 Sleeve by Express $49 (by one get one 50% off!)
- Sleeveless Keyhole Blouse by Express $39
- Short Sleeved Blouse by H&M $25 **Exact product from 3rd picture**
- Lace Tie Neck Top by The Limited $24 (Sale!)
*Don’t forget to add a statement necklace, or a great bracelet to dress up your blouse. My go to place for fashion jewelry is Charming Charlie’s. If you haven’t been, find a location, and make a trip! You’ll thank me later! (Color coated store that carries purses, jewelry, bags, clothes, and all kinds of accessories at affordable prices).
With summer coming around, ankle pants are my go to! Plus they are dressy enough for the work place and you can still transition into a more edgy look without feeling too ‘business-y’. Pants are hard to fit for me as I am petite. I can always rely on Ann Taylor Loft for a great pair of ankle pants! I wouldn’t rule out The Limited, or Banana Republic either. The links will direct you to their ankle pant sections!
I don’t have to walk around too much for my job, but regardless, I am in my shoes from 7:30 a.m. (when I leave my house) until 5:30 p.m. (when I get home). They need to be comfy and cute, right? For the perfect ‘in between’ shoe in regards to looks and comfort, I would first suggest a wedge. They look nice, and are more comfortable than a heel due to extra support and a platform area! Next, if you are still wanting to avoid the heel, look for a pointed flat. These look great with a pair of ankle pants! Lastly, if you are going to wear heels for work, find a brand that fits your feet. This is so important! This is where I would invest my money at in the shoe category. Personally, I love Nine West. They simply fit the shape of my feet!
Below are similar styles that you can find at DSW based off the pictures above!
Rule of thumb for your ‘shoe’ closet:
- Always have a comfort ‘neutral’ (think nude, gray, or black).
- Find a comfortable pop of color (this could be a flat or a wedge).
- Indulge in a great black heel that can be worn for work, a date, or a special occasion
My favorite places to shop for work clothes:
- Ann Taylor Loft: Great for work pieces, plus they carry petite. I always look for the sales here!
- The Limited: Great place for basics (think work skirts, pants, sweaters, etc.)
- Banana Republic: When I am looking for something a little edgier but neutral, this is my go to!
- DSW: Anytime I buy shoes, it usually ends up being from here. You can really hit the clearance!
- Express: I tend to find a lot of work tops here (blouses in particular)
- Macy’s: Macy’s is my store for dresses in particular!
- Old Navy: I tend to find many summer shoes here for work! Great price point as well!
There you have it! A few of my favorite looks, places to shops, and other fun details for building your work wardrobe! Enjoy!
Until next time,